Respiratory Protection Program | Respirator Fit Testing
PHASE Associates has vast knowledge regarding the OSHA Respiratory Protection Standard (1910.134) and will be able to assess and develop a respiratory protection program and fit testing program that will work best for you. We have developed many OSHA compliant respirator protection programs and have conducted hundreds of qualitative and quantitative fit tests for its clients. We have established yearly respiratory protection training and fit test programs for several of our clients.
PHASE Associates will help come up with a turnkey key solution:
- Determine and develop an overall respirator program that is OSHA compliant for employees exposed to atmospheric contamination or working in oxygen deficient environments.
- Conduct an assessment which can involve qualitative exposure assessments which is reviewing each job tasks or individuals involved in chemical exposure. Or perform quantitative exposure assessment which involves industrial hygiene monitoring.
- Determine a responsible Respiratory Protection Program Administrator.
- Ascertain type of respirator full face, half-face, air-purifying, SCBA’s, or any other type of respirator that is required.
- Provide training on the respirator protection and usage and maintenance of respirators
- Review quantitative and qualitative respirators
- Provide referrals to occupational physicians for medical clearance examination requirements.
- Provide respirator medical clearance.
OSHA considers respirators to be necessary to protect the health of its employees at those work sites where feasible engineering controls are not available or are not sufficient to protect employee health. It is mandatory for employers to establish and maintain an effective respiratory protection program when employees must wear respirators to protect against workplace hazards. Different hazards require different respirators, and employees are responsible for wearing the appropriate respirator and complying with the respiratory protection program.
The standard contains requirements for program administration, worksite-specific procedures, respirator selection, employee training, fit testing, medical evaluation, respirator use, cleaning, maintenance, and repair, and respirator medical clearance.
Respirator Medical Clearance
PHASE Associates performs medical evaluations using a medical questionnaire. This is part of our turnkey solution to offer complete services and consulting in a respiratory protection program, respiratory protection training, and respirator fit testing.
OSHA requires that all employers provide a medical evaluation to determine the employee’s ability to use a respirator before the employee is fit tested or required to use the respirator in the workplace.
In addition, the employer will provide additional medical evaluations that comply with the requirements of 29 CFR 1910.134 if:
- An employee reports medical signs or symptoms that are related to the ability to use a respirator.
- A PLHCP, supervisor or the respirator program administrator deems it is necessary to reevaluate the employee.
Observations are made during the fit testing and program evaluation that indicates a need for an employee to be reevaluated.
- A change occurs in workplace conditions (e.g., physical work effort, protective clothing, temperature) that may result in a substantial increase in the physiological burden placed on the employee.
Please contact at for more information on how we can offer this program to your employees.