OSHA considers respirators to be necessary to protect the health of its employees at those work sites where feasible engineering controls are not available or are not sufficient to protect employee health. It is mandatory for employers to establish and maintain an effective respiratory protection program when employees must wear respirators to protect against workplace hazards. Different hazards require different respirators, and employees are responsible for wearing the appropriate respirator and complying with the respiratory protection program.
The standard contains requirements for program administration, worksite-specific procedures, respirator selection, employee training, fit testing, medical evaluation, and respirator use, cleaning, maintenance, and repair.
PHASE Associates has vast knowledge regarding the OSHA Respiratory Protection Standard (1910.134) and will be able to assess and develop a respiratory protection program and fit testing program that will work best for you. We have developed many OSHA compliant respirator protection programs and have conducted hundreds of qualitative and quantitative fit tests for its clients. We have established yearly respiratory protection training and fit test programs for several of our clients. PHASE Associates will help you with the following:
- Determine and develop an overall respirator program that is OSHA compliant for employees exposed to atmospheric contamination or working in oxygen deficient environments.
- Conduct an assessment which can involve qualitative exposure assessments which is reviewing each job tasks or individuals involved in chemical exposure. Or perform quantitative exposure assessment which involves industrial hygiene monitoring
- Determine a responsible Respiratory Protection Program Administrator
- Ascertain type of respirator full face, half-face, air-purifying, SCBA’s, or any other type of respirator that is require
- Provide training on the respirator protection and usage and maintenance of respirators
- Review quantitative and qualitative respirators
- Provide referrals to occupational physicians for medical clearance examination requirements.